Sunday, May 25, 2014

Attention and Presence

This morning I spent some time in front of a nest box observing the mama hen and the chicks that hatched within the last 24 hours. Life is amazing, wants to burst forth everywhere - never knowing or needing to know what fate lies ahead. Life Life everywhere - and I realize - all this world going on with 7 billion people and in this tiny corner a hen is hatching some chicks, and not much is more important to her then protecting them and teaching them .... just like a lady bug was trying to make it to another part of the flower.

It all comes to live with attention and presence in a way that makes you realize LIFE and LOVE. I have no words to describe it. And so it goes on everywhere. Attention, Presence and allowing to it to be

- and then I recall something that has come to my mind many times lately, something I heard from what turned out to be my fist spiritual teacher. He was talking about saplings and being a caretaker of a land. In the process of care-taking and keeping the all healthy and balanced - not all the saplings can be allowedd to live. You MUST choose, and choose the strong and healthy ones, the ones who can do well, the ones who have some room - it is part of care taking. This has become relevant lately - as I realize the life force flowing though all ... - all the grasses and bugs and everything, including a number of baby walnut trees growing where they really have no business growing, where they will kill the other plants that are there now - it will just be a matter of time - and i am having trouble cutting them. transplanting will give them some chance, although they don't seem to transplant well, and I am running out of room. So at some point, some have to go.

Having had to deal with dealing with too many roosters, having to consider the issue of rodents, the principle of harmony and balance come to mind over and over....and in the course of time, not all life, not all ideas, not all plans can live out their potential. But for that individual plant - if you are there with presence and attention - life will end - it will die to this world - there will be a death.

At this time I take comfort that it was seen, noticed and loved.

I understand much better now why it was such a big deal back then - about the care taking and the saplings - because it is a big deal to take a life....as much as  you want to think it really isn't.

There is another story Tom Brown told us (that will be in another post) that I finally understood when I started working with animals - realizing the sacredness of life - and each living thing.

Looking at those cute, brand new baby chicks this morning I am reminded of the pre-programmed nature of them AND can see consciousness looking back at me through their little baby eyes. Being Attention and Presence is all that matters - and waking up really IS all important.

It is in moments of just being there, looking and listening that the secrets are revealed and a mysterious wonder and spacious peace leaves me without words. But the instruction of treading gently upon this world, and loving all you can - makes a lot of sense.


No comments:

Post a Comment